My Diwali special - No, it is not about recipe

Diwali in India is a metaphor to sweets and crackers. Here in US, I try my best to match Indian festivals and our customs to be followed as same as we do in India. But Diwali is an exceptional extraordinary festival, thus nothing can match the joy we share in India on Diwali.

Diwali 2017
What is Diwali in India? Wake up with crackers alarm, Oil bath, New dress, Hot and spicy non veg breakfast, TV shows especially patti mandram(debate show),  crackers, sharing Diwali greetings and wishes in texts and phone calls, again variety of non veg food for lunch, new movies, crackers and a SOUND sleep with all these memories. 

Diwali does not end up in one day, now the auspicious mode turned on the second day, we call it Gowri Nonbu. This is a traditional pooja, when Kalasam will be decorated as Goddess Gowri Amman, homemade adhirasam will be devoted to her, yellow twines will be kept in that pooja, which later will be distributed within family members. This pooja has to be made only with the elders of the family, thus this pooja brings in a joy of family get together. Then sweets and snacks will be shared among all our relatives, friends and neighbors.

It is hard to accept a festival without family, but I try hard to justify it by doing same rituals here in US. Unlike other festivals such as Pongal(sankranti), Chathurthi, Krishna Jayanthi, Aayudha pooja etc, we can't celebrate Diwali as we do in India. It is unique and un comparable. Since bursting crackers is out of scope in US, I wished to match up with rest of the Diwali specials.
Sweets and savories are primary among them, especially adharsam and murukku. 

Though they are delicious, they are difficult to prepare as well. Even people who are experts in preparing variety of dishes will take a step back to prepare adharsam and murukku as it requires more time and more effort. But I wished to give a sincere try, because my thirst to fulfill our custom is irrevocable. I also don't want my husband and kids to miss out this traditional food on Diwali.
I can't press beyond this

I first tried Murukku. I prepared it's batter but it was rigid, which I was unable to press with that kitchen press. As shown in the pic, I can't press hard to bring out the batter in murukku shape and ended up getting tiny murukku pieces. I gave up on trying more. My friend Pragna, who was so excited in helping me out, volunteered to press this hard batter. Finally, we ended up getting this Murukku. Though she did not say anything, I know she would have slept with pain in her arms. 



Then my desire for making adhirasam sprouted again. "Paagu" is the main ingredient to it, but I'm unaware of getting it in right consistency. So, I sought help from my another friend Lakshmi, who is an expert in preparing variety of sweets and snacks. She too readily accepted my request, came home the other day morning and prepared adhirasam dough for me. She also came in the afternoon to check it's consistency.  Later in the evening, I pat the small balls of dough into required shape and dropped in hot oil, exactly like making poori. Vetri in company with me, pressed the excess oil from adhirasam, as soon as I take it out of oil pan. The adhirasam came out well. In gratitude of their help, I shared my Diwali special with my friends. 

I remember what my mom always says, "when you can't do things, get things done". So, I was ready to seek help, they are ready to step up for me as well. Festivals are created to spread love and joy; Spending time for others and helping out others are the flavors of caring and sharing. All these together, give a new shade to any celebration. On this Diwali, sharing the joy with such people is special to me. Even across the country, the base of the festivals remains same. "love and love only"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Helpless hands with Eczema

Printable Worksheets for K-2

What will you answer, when your kids ask about Draupadi?