Math is not hard: Really?

Math is one of the most difficult subjects to many of us. I liked math when it had only numbers,  I just started hating it, when it asked me to find alphabets like x, y and z.

But again I wondered how it is so easy and interesting to few others! I exclaimed at my math teachers who love to teach the subject. Then I understood,  it's their perspective on that subject. 

"Your perspective will either become your prison or become your passport". 



Still I did not get to know what that perspective could be, to understand that subject. Then I came across a video by Randy Palisoc, a passionate educator, known for making math easy. His lecture in TedEx event caught my attention and I came to understand that "secret" behind math lovers. "To treat math as a language".

Yes, the reason why I hate math is, for including problematic letters and symbols to its problems, but then I realized the  definition of its terms has all its meaning. For example: 7x8=56 may be easy for an average kid to memorize, but hard for a slow bloomer to remember it forever.



How about putting them in words  like 7 times 8 (8+8+8+8+8+8+8). It is easy to explain and any kid can remember it as a concept of multiplication. 

Symbols are like sms language we use right now. We should know the purpose and use accordingly. Won't it be odd if we say LOL instead of laughing out loud? Same way, symbols of math are used in writing, but while introducing or explaining the concept, we need to use the actual terms and that makes the difference and bring a spark in kids, who knows?! even love for math.

Still difficult to understand this math as a language?  Seeing Randy's video may bring clarity. To me, anyone who can make a kid understand a concept are great influences. Hope such videos are useful to parents who hate math, but  wants their kids to love math.

Randy Palisoc video: Click here for his YouTube channel IRONBOX Education.
Randy Palisoc's  Ted talk


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Helpless hands with Eczema

Printable Worksheets for K-2

What will you answer, when your kids ask about Draupadi?